Friday, May 15, 2009

SUMMER SCHOOL


My semester of school just ended, so that means class is back in session for you all. Nobody reads this shit, so I wasn't missed. Ha Ha! I guess I didn't make Vibe's top 50 blogs list...aw well, who reads Vibe anymore anyway. This new generation doesn't read period.


Speaking of the new generation, I recently read on SOHH.com that Ice-T and Bow Wow's favorite punching bag, Soulja Boy, wants to create a classic album. This sparked my interest because it made me think, "wow, do these fools really think there is a formula for a classic album?" If you think it, it will happen. He goes on to say that he wants Lil' Wayne, Kanye West, and Jay-Z to get on his project to ensure its' classic status. In other words he wants them to make it a classic for him.


These statements from Mr. Tellem didn't shock me at all, because he is the king of uneducated statements. What did shock me was the thought that young artists today might actually believe that you can walk in the studio with the intent of making a classic album, and just do it. Doesn't work like that young wordsmiths. I'm sure Darius Mile has the intent of scoring 3o+ points every time before he steps on the court; does that always happen...nope...in fact it hardly happens.


In my belief, Jay-Z, Nas, Raekwon, Rakim, and GangStarr want to create classics every time they stepped in the studio, but they each only did it once. Were their other albums quality? Yes! All of them classics? Hell Naw!


The word "classic" is tossed around too much. You don't know if a piece of art is classic until it stands the test of time. A lot of people tossed around the word with Lil' Wayne's "Tha Carter III." I am not a fan of Weezy myself, but he put out a solid effort with that album. Will we remember it 10-15 years from now like we do "Illmatic" or "Ready To Die," probably not. Especially with the way everybody raped the "A Milli" beat, I don't even remember Wayne's actual verses. In contrast, everybody remembers the opening line for "Juicy."


I guess what I am trying to say is just have the intent of making good music all the time and a classic might squeak out by mistake: DON'T TALK ABOUT IT, BE ABOUT IT!!!!


Since I haven't done a post in a while, and I love doing polls, here's another one for you. What is your favorite hip-hop classic? Is it Nas' "Illmatic," Biggie's "Ready To Die," Raekwon's "Only Built For Cuban Linx," Jay's "The Blueprint," or Dre's "The Chronic." If you don't like any of those 5 and have your own, click the other box and leave a comment with your favorite. Just vote....I love an argument

No comments: