Friday, May 16, 2008

FEATURING....



Sorry Supaman, I had finals this week, I had to fall back from the blog for a minute, but I'm back. Today I want to talk about the lost art of the R&B/Hip-Hop collabo. I don't know if the industry is over saturated with them so we just don't notice them anymore, or they just plain suck most of the time so we don't care. I'd like to think its a little of both.

Back in the 80s they were rare because hip-hop was still thought of as fad so a lot of prominent R&B stars shied away from incorporating rappers in their music. I think it was around 87 or 88 when the first real collabo banger came out with Jody Watley's "Friends" featuring the god himself, Rakim. A match made in heaven. That just got the ball rolling. Soon we saw Heavy D. and Al B. Sure link up, Tony, Toni, Tone hook-up with Tupac's brother Mocedes The Mellow (a.k.a. MoPreme) on "Feels Good", and Father MC and a then unknown Jodeci got together a few times.

Then in 1995 came possible the ultimate style mash-up: Method Man and Mary J. Blige's "You're All I Need." One word: Classic! I mean the shit won a Grammy, man. The Grammy committee even installed a hip-hop/r&b collabo category in the yearly ceremony. After that it was full steam ahead. Every rapper needed a R&B singer on a track. Mary J. guest starred on many a hip-hop album. That was the Fugees whole gimmick. Common and Chantay Savage, Jay-Z and Babyface, LL Cool J and Boyz II Men, and the list goes on. Rappers even started to sing (Ja Rule...still waiting on "The Mirror" to drop homie). It seemed as collabos became common, the less both artists on the track seem to care about the quality of the song. It became a lost art.

So here is my challenge to all you hip-hop and r&b stars, take out Mary and Meth from the number one spot, and be in the studio at the same time so you can vibe off of each others creative energy. Right now Estelle's "American Boy" with Kanye West has brought some of that back, but don't let it end there. Lets see Common and Alicia Keys, Kanye and John Legend, Mos Def and Amy Winehouse, or Lupe Fiasco and Erykah Badu. There it is, the challenge is out there. So the two people that actually read this blog (hi mama), get the word out and maybe it will get back to these artists so we can hear some heat this summer.

Here are the top 5 Hip-Hop/R&B Collabos of all-time...according to me of course:







I posted a poll on the side too, so vote and let me know what you think the top dog is.

No comments: