Monday, June 16, 2008

NO LOVE?


Yesterday was Father's Day (happy belated Father's Day everyone by the way), and it got me thinking...where is the Father's anthem in hip-hop and/or R&B? Not every child in this culture was raised fatherless, so how come the daddies get no love? On Mother's Day there are a million positive songs about mothers to choose from. You got 2Pac's "Dear Momma", Boyz II Men's "A Song For Mama", R. Kelly's "Sadie", and so on. If someone chooses to write a song about their pops, its usually negative like the Temptations' "Papa Was a Rolling Stone", L.L. Cool J's "Father", and Shaq O'Neal's "Biological Didn't Bother." The only positive one that instantly pops into my mind is Luther Vandross' "Dance With My Father." Come on now, there had to be at least one good daddy for all these musicians. If any one who happens to stumble across this blog and reads this, hit me in the Chat Box and let me know if you know of any positive songs about fathers. I really am curious because I am a father, and I need to know if I need to start grooming my daughter to be a musician so she can make a happy song about me.

No comments: