Sunday, June 1, 2008

AFTERTHOUGHTS OF THE LEAK


Well since my last post, there has been a significant leak of Lil Wayne's highly anticipated album "Tha Carter 3." After hearing the leaked tracks, all in all, I would have to say that I am torn. I am very impressed by the beat selection, a lot of "Southern" rappers wouldn't dare to deviate from the "plan" and rapper over beats that don't make you snap yo' fingaz or do tha dance. "Dr. Carter" was really well done, I think Black Sheep sampled the same beat Swizz Beatz did on their "A Sheep In Wolf's Clothing" album. On the same note, I think that his experimentation on this album my be his downfall. He wasn't himself, he wasn't Weezy F. Baby, I can't put my finger on it. It seems like he tried to create a classic, but you can't make a classic happen, they just happen. I never thought I'd say this, but where the hell is Mannie Fresh. It seems like Wayne is trying to impress the purist of this culture by not pigeon holing himself to the stereotypes of what a Southern rapper is supposed to sound like, but by doing that I think he lost some of his world renown swag and my end up alienating some of his life long fans. Some people still need the bounce Weezy. In no way am I trying to shit on this album, like I said I am impressed with what I hear so far, but it sounds empty. Wayne has definitely proven that he is an artist and a student of the game, but he shouldn't have to change his style to appease the naysayers like myself. So on "Tha Carter 4" throw some of that "wobbely wobbely" in there for old time sake, and go with what you know.

No comments: